What is ENFit and why was it created?
Traditional, or legacy, enteral connectors use a universal stepped adapter (left) to connect to feeding tubes. This means there is the possibility for an inadvertent connection between an enteral feeding system and a non-enteral system.
ENFIt is a global initiative that was developed to reduce the likelihood of misconnections and accidental disconnection by creating a unique design that does not allow connectivity with connectors for any other clinical use.
What are the benefits of ENFit?
The primary benefits of the ENFit change are enhanced patient safety and convenience.
Standardized connectors across the industry
increases familiarity in healthcare settings.
The unique connector design helps ensure that enteral tubing and syringes are able to connect only to feeding tubes.
|Reduce Accidental Disconnection
The locking threads help prevent the connector
from accidentally pulling away from the tubing.
The more secure fit of the ENFit connector reduces the potential for leaks at connector sites.
How will you be impacted?
All enteral feeding products with a connector will be changed to include the ENFit connector. This includes syringes, gravity sets, pump sets, extension sets, and even feeding tubesthemselves. Nearly everyone who uses enteral feeding products will be impacted. Note that button style G-tubes will not be changing, just the extension sets that connect to them.
Moog has created an ENFit Enteral Feeding Connector Infographic designed to help readers understand how the upcoming industry-wide transition to ENFit-only products may impact them. Download the infographic below.
Do you have additional ENFit questions?
Contact us today and get answers from our clinical experts.
Get answers to your ENFit questions
GEDSA, the Global Enteral Devices Supplier Association, has released the following
important production phase out dates for legacy enteral connectors. This means that after January 1st, 2022 all newly manufactured enteral products will feature only the ENFit connector.
July 1st, 2021
“Legacy feeding tubes and cross application adapters will no longer be manufactured.”
This means that any enteral extension set or feeding tube without an ENFit connector will no longer be manufactured after this date.
“Transition sets and adapters sold separately from other devices will no longer be manufactured.”
This means all feeding sets (both gravity and pump set) will no longer be manufactured with the transition adapter after this date, and will only have ENFit connectors.
Need help with the ENFit transition and/or implementation?
We can help. Moog has created a Continuing Education (CE) program titled “Connecting ENFit: The Who, What, When, Where, and Why.”
- Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # 17593 for 1 contact hours.
- This CE program is a Pre-approved program #160600 with the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Registered Dietitians and Dietetic Technicians Registered will receive 1.0 continuing professional education units
CE Program Features:
- Identify enteral device misconnections and disconnections, as well as the history of ENFit
- Explore considerations for safe and effective use of ENFit enteral feeding devices
- Identify common obstacles that can occur while transitioning to ENFit
- Review additional resources and tools to support ENFit transitions
- Q & A with guest hosts
- Course will be conducted online through virtual training interface
- CE certificates will only be issued to registrants who attend the session
- RN license numbers are required by the California Board of Nursing
- There is no fee to attend this presentation
Contact us at [email protected] to learn more, or register for the free course by clicking the buttons below:
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
11:00 AM MDT
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
12:00 PM MDT
Thursday, June 17, 2021
10:00 AM MDT